Suspended sentence for takeaway owner

0
51

The owner of Fish Plaice on Tilgate Parade has been given a 30-week suspended prison sentence and ordered to pay £6,000 in costs after a worker in his takeaway was left with life-changing injuries after being scalded with hot cooking oil.

Farshad Ghaderi, 53, was sentenced on Thursday 21st December at Lewes Crown Court. He had previously entered a guilty at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on 23rd November to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 for failing to correctly supervise a member of staff emptying a deep fat fryer, which resulted in a serious accident.

The sentence was suspended and reduced from an initial 15 months as a result of an early guilty plea and the defendant’s ill health.

The accident occurred on 25th August 2016 and left a member of his staff with very serious burns and lifelong injuries after being scalded with hot cooking oil. The judge in the previous hearing considered that the matter was so serious that it should be referred to the Crown Court.

This case was only brought to the attention of the council’s specialist Principal Environmental Health Officer in charge of health and safety as the oil was so hot the frying range began to smoke profusely, triggering a 999 call to the Fire Service who treated the burns victim at the scene before they were taken to hospital.

Councillor Geraint Thomas, Cabinet member for Environmental Services and Sustainability, said: “This case clearly shows the hidden dangers in the workplace and the very severe consequences of what may happen when health and safety is neglected.

“The council is committed to working with our local businesses to promote sensible and proportionate regulation in this area but will investigate and take appropriate actions against anybody who seriously transgresses putting workers or the public at a serious risk of harm or injury.”

This is the third serious incident in a food business in Crawley resulting in staff members receiving life-changing injuries from hot oil in a deep fat fryer.

In an effort to educate people of the dangers of using this type of equipment and ensure their safe use the Environmental Health Team at Crawley Borough Council has organised a workshop for local catering business to be held at the Civic Hall on Wednesday 24th January 2018 from 1.00pm.

All food business operators with this type of equipment are urged to attend and are asked to call the council on 01293 438207 or email environmentalservices@crawley.gov.uk

Please pop back to the Homepage to read more great stories by CHT…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.