Please plan ahead if you are travelling between 23rd December 2017 and 1st January 2018 as improvement work as well as the normal service alterations over this period will mean that services on most routes will be amended.
Overview of service alterations
- Christmas Day and Boxing Day: No train service on Gatwick Express, Southern or Thameslink on Monday 25th or Tuesday 26th December. On 26th December, a limited Gatwick Express bus service will operate between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport only, please allow extra time for your journey and seek alternative routes if possible. Queuing systems will be in place at both London Victoria and Gatwick Airport and you may not be able to board the first bus.
- No service at Redhill: From Saturday 23rd December to Monday 1st January inclusive, there will be no train service at Coulsdon South, Merstham, Redhill, Reigate, Earlswood, or at stations between Redhill and Tonbridge. Buses will serve these stations and journey times considerably extended. Services between London, Gatwick and the coast will continue to operate, but to a reduced frequency. Great Western Railway services will continue to operate between Reigate and Reading, but buses will replace trains between Reigate and Gatwick Airport.
- No Thameslink cross-London services: From Saturday 23rd December to Monday 1st January inclusive, there will be no Thameslink cross London service. Please use the tube and London buses to complete your journey. Full details of these alterations are available on the Thameslink website
- Southampton: From Saturday 23rd December to Monday 1st January inclusive, Southern services to/from Southampton Central will be diverted to Portsmouth & Southsea. Customers for stations between Cosham and Southampton should change at Fratton and use Great Western Railway and South Western Railway services to complete their journey. Buses will replace all trains between Woolston and Southampton Central, but rail connections will be available via Eastleigh. Between 09:00 and 19:00 on the working days (Wednesday 27th to Friday 29th December) a limited Southern train service will operate to/from Fareham and Woolston
- London Bridge: From Saturday 23rd December to Monday 1st January inclusive, there will be significant alterations to Southeastern services with many London stations not served by their trains. Full details will be available on the Southeastern website. Southern and Thameslink services to and from London Bridge and London Blackfriars will be busier. There will also be no Southern or Thameslink service to or from London Bridge from start of service until approx. 11:00 on Saturday 23rd December and tickets will be accepted on Tube and bus services. Full details of these alterations are available on the Thameslink website.
- Christmas Eve: Services will shut down early from approximately 20:00 on Sunday 24th December. Please check your last trains carefully before you travel.
- New Year’s Day: Services will operate in the early hours of the morning of Monday 1st January on the following Southern and Thameslink routes:
- London Bridge and Sutton via Mitcham Junction
- London St Pancras International and St Albans
- London Bridge and Three Bridges via Gatwick Airport
- London Victoria and East Croydon via Selhurst
For the remainder of the day a Sunday service will operate.
Planning my journey
Full details of train and rail replacement bus services will be included in on-line journey planners from the beginning of October and you should use these to plan your specific journeys. Information is included in the ‘Buy tickets’ functionality on this website or by visiting nationalrail.co.uk and using the journey planner.
During the Thameslink cross London closure, it may be easier for you to use local bus or Tube services. Please use the journey planner at tfl.gov.uk to plan these journeys. For details of ticket acceptance on Tube and London bus services when Thameslink cross London services are suspended, please check the Thameslink website.
Please pop back to the Homepage to read more great stories by CHT…