- WORDfest celebrates its fifth birthday
- 2015 festival launches on World Book Night
- Record number of events and authors set for terrific two-week event
The organisers of Crawley’s annual literary festival are delighted to announce the 2015 line-up for WORDfest (Thursday 23rd April to Thursday 7th May).
Now in its fifth year, the 2015 festival will once again include a magnificent medley of author talks, creative workshops, performances, recitals and more at venues across Crawley – mostly for free. Highlights for 2015 include:
- WORDfest’s New Faces of Fiction (Wednesday 29th April) introduces two writers poised, says The Observer, on the brink of literary success; Alex Hourston and Kate Hamer.
- Listen to eight of Brighton’s best-selling crime writers (Wednesday 6th May) discuss the inspiration behind their tales of murder, transgression and detection.
- Get a sense of this New Town’s burgeoning literary scene at the launch of the first e-book by the Crawley Creative Writers group.
- New for this year, the Get Stuck in Day (Saturday 25th April) invites families to join in a fun-packed day of activities, workshops, games and children’s theatre.
- The WORDfest Quiz (Friday 1st Mar) – back by popular demand, will see teams of up to six people compete for the 2015 title (see programme attached)
This community arts festival is expected to once again draw hundreds of people from around Mid Sussex and beyond.
Carolyn Murphy, Secretary of WORDfest, said:
“Crawley perhaps does not readily spring to mind when thinking of art, music and literature. But, among its 110,000 population lies a thriving arts, music and literary scene. It is our job, as organisers of WORDfest, to shine a light on the creativity that flows among the Crawley Boroughs, and help it to flourish by bringing new and established talent into the town and nurturing a community that shares a love of reading, writing, music and the arts. We hope you will come and see for yourselves whether we have achieved that.”
WORDfest opens at Crawley Library on Thursday 23rd April to coincide with World Book Night – an international celebration of reading – with an evening of stories, books, poetry, music and wine. Book in person from 1st April at Crawley Library, Southgate Avenue, call 01293 651751 or visit http://wordfestcrawley.org/contact.